Sunday, November 10, 2013

Dual Drawing Midterm

Dual Drawing Midterm 



Leaf Sketch - 

The leaf homework sketch was the first thing that I was told to do. It took a few tries and some guidance, but after I came up with a leaf that was very nicely done. I like the shading and the detail put into it but I would like to add more detail and shading. The biggest thing I would like to change is that I want to draw the whole thing, not just the one leaf.

Shell Sketch - 

This project was my first real project for this course. I found this to be very difficult and almost decided to drop this class because I didn't think that I could handle the drawings that I would have to do. After starting and re-starting this project multiple times, I finally produced a finished product that was far from perfect but better than the others I had come up with. I don't "hate" this drawing, but I don't like it. If I could do it over I would give the shells more detail and I would try very hard to get them to look more scaled. I would also try to pick a more distinct light source to help my shading.

Toy Sketch - 

After getting through the shell sketch, I felt that I would never be able to do the toy sketch, I was proven wrong. I took the sketch one small piece at a time and produced a better drawing than I thought I could. The details in the toys came out very well and everything looks pretty much to scale. If I could do this over again I would try to make my lines more smooth, make the duck in the drawing look more like the toy in the still life, and I would work on the shading. 

Shoe Sketch - 

This sketch is probably my favorite. After I finished this sketch I felt very confident in myself and I love the way this turned out. The shoes all have details almost identical to my still like and thought this took quite a while, everything is to scale and looks very smooth. If I could re-do this drawing I think the only thing I would work on is finding my light source and shading this the correct way. 

Face Homework - 

The faces were probably the hardest thing I have ever had to draw. The masks were white and the backdrop was also white so it was difficult to determine where lines and shadows were to go. If I could change anything about this drawing I would try to capture more of the faces instead of the parts of the faces. I would like to also improve on the shading. 

Lights on the Faces - 

For this assignment, we used the same still life only this time we drew the still life with an intense light in the objects. Without the light it was very hard to determine where the shading should go, but with the light it was quite easy to find where my shading needed to be and I came out with a very nice finished drawing. The only thing that I would want to change about this drawing would be that I would like to have added more of the backdrop into it. 

Mask Project - 

For this project, I had to draw each of the masks in sort of preliminary drawings multiple times. At first I really didn't understand why I was having to draw all of these multiple times and I was kind of man that I couldn't draw in all of the details. But after I got all of the mask drawings done I was told to cut them all apart and arrange them on colored paper, I was actually pretty excited. I love to cut things and glue them together and if I could change anything with this project it would be to clean up the lines and glue from putting this together. 

Charcoal Masks -

I have to say that before and during this project I HATED charcoal, now I see why people love it so much, it makes drawings look AMAZING. I had a really hard time with this project because I really hadn't done anything with charcoal before this but after some Charcoal 101 I took my project from really bad to pretty good for me. If I could change any of this project then I would try to get a darker shading where it needs to be and a lighted shading where it needs to be. 

Cups Homework - 

Even though this was just a homework sketch I found it to be very difficult. The purpose of this was to show what we all see when we look at a row of stuff. When you look, the first object appears to be bigger and as you go back the objects become smaller. It looks really easy to draw, but it really isn't. Aside from the fact that drawing the cups at the right size was difficult,the lines on the cups posed as a different problem. I had to get all of the lines right. If I could to this on again I would completely re-do the drawing and spend more time on the shading and line accuracy. 

Table Homework - 

The table homework assignment was sort of like the cup assignment. They both held the same purpose which was to help me see the depth perception in my drawings. This assignment proved to be way harder than the cups and honestly, I hated it. I hated drawing it and I hated the way it turned out until I realized how much it helped me with the projects I had to draw afterwards. 

Front of School - 

After the cups and the tables, I understood why it was our homework drawing, because it helped for me to get the depth perception of what I was looking at. The hardest part of this project was getting the sidewalk right and the trees to look right. If I could re-do this drawing I would try to incorporate more detail and I would try to find me light source so I could incorporate shading. Though I like this drawing I don't feel like it is DONE. Eventually, I think I should finish this. 

1 comment:

  1. Autumn, you have done an EXCELLENT job on this - A+ work, your comments on your work are insightful and honest - great job!!!

    ReplyDelete